Happy New Year!
Wow! As I write this, the 3rd of January is already almost over! With the days being so short right now, they just seem to fly by! But, we’re past the Winter Solstice now, so the days are starting to get a bit longer, even if you can’t really notice it yet… Woo Hoo! Let the time of longer days and “re-enlightening” begin! I can’t wait.
Speaking of time, I don’t know about you, but I certainly welcome the year 2011. 2010 was a tough year for just about every one of us! For me and Steve it was a momentous one, of course, as it is the year we made the decision to buy the NABBW and BoomerWomenSpeak websites, and of course, it is the year we launched the new NABBW site…
But even with all that goodness, 2010 was still a year laced with some hard life lessons – for me and for most of the world. I can’t let that get me down, however, because these were the kind of lessons that test us, shape us, and ultimately make us stronger. So, as uncomfortable is it was, having a rough year isn’t all bad. And someday, of course, we’ll look back on it, and realize that the year 2010 brought us just what we needed – even if we didn’t recognize that at that time we were living through the challenges…
Meanwhile, with the dawning of a new year comes the beginning of the time I like to call the “Window-of-Opportunity Sprint.” What I mean is, if you’re serious about accomplishing great things in 2011, now is the time to come out of the starting gate moving as fast as you can. Hit the ground running on January 3 — and make sure that you keep going full speed ahead through at least the end of May…
The way I see it, if you don’t make major strides toward achieving your goals between January and May, you end up playing catch-up for the rest of the year. Besides which, once June arrives it’s just too easy to go into a summer swoon. And even if you personally manage to avoid the swoon and continue pushing hard toward achieving your goals, summer is the time when you start to find it harder than ever to capture people’s attention.
You know how it is: Once we hit summer everyone seems to be planning weddings, getting ready for a graduation, or going off on vacation. Summer is usually a maddening time for connecting with people – unless you’ve made plans with them earlier.
By the way, in case you’ve been living under a rock and haven’t heard this yet, January 1st marked a momentous turning point for all of us Baby Boomers, men and women: As of now, more than 10,000 baby boomers a day will turn 65, a pattern that will continue for the next 19 years. If that’s not something to get your juices flowing, I don’t know what will. There’s a TON of opportunity for all of us in that news…We Baby Boomer Women are a formidable force.
Still Can’t Get Started?
If you’re having a hard time getting yourself pushed off the 2011 starting blocks, here are some points from Norman Vincent Peale’s classic book, The Power of Positive Thinking which are well worth reviewing. Remember, Peale teaches us that we all have within us the power to shape our lives, in every aspect, based on how we think, what we think, and ultimately; how we act.
Here are 5 key points from Dr. Peale that I’m happy to share. They are important personal reminders for all of us:
- Do not build up obstacles in your imagination. Depreciate every so-called obstacle. Minimize them. Difficulties must be studied and efficiently dealt with to be eliminated, but they must be seen for only what they are. They must not be inflated by fear thoughts.
- Make a true estimate of your own ability, then raise it 10 percent. Do not become egotistical, but develop a wholesome self-respect. Believe in your own God-given gifts.
- How we think we feel has a definite effect on how we actually feel physically. If your mind tells you that you are tired, the body mechanism, the nerves, and the muscles accept the fact. By supplying attitudes of faith to the mind it can increase energy.
- Formulate and stamp indelibly on your mind a mental picture of yourself succeeding. Hold this picture tenaciously. Never permit it to fade. Your mind will seek to develop this picture. Never think of yourself failing; never doubt the reality of the mental image of success. Always picture success no matter how badly things seem to be going at the moment.
- The more you lose yourself in something bigger than yourself, the more energy you will have. You won’t have time to think about yourself and get bogged down in your emotional difficulties.
I challenge you to expect great things for yourself in 2011. Make the decision and choose success. It’s in your hands! After all, we Boomer Women know the best is yet to come…
Just Days Away: NABBW Teleseminar on Building Profitability (for Authors)
Here’s an event to help jumpstart your success if you are an author or want to become one in 2011. Best-selling author and NABBW Associate Ronda Del Boccio – she’s had two #1 sellers on Amazon.com in the past few months — will be our NABBW guest Thursday January 6th at 8 PM Eastern time. (That’s 5 PM Pacific, of course.)
Her topic is: “Authors: Insider Secrets for a Profitable 2011.”
On the call she’ll be covering crucial topics like:
- The fastest way to write a nonfiction book
- The fastest way to publish FREE
- Where to find places to submit articles & stories
- How to connect with an agent
- Insider secret to getting motivated to write
- How to almost effortlessly turn 1 article into 1000
Ronda’s created a Facebook page for this event, so be sure to check that out… This is a one-hour training session, and it’s free! Ronda will be sharing information on how to become more than a best-selling author – I’ll be “grilling” her on what it takes to become a PROFITABLE AUTHOR.
Don’t miss this call! Click here for call-in details and to send in questions you’d like Ronda to answer on the call.
Accessing the Private Area of the NABBW Site
Last but certainly not least, if you’re a (paid) NABBW member and having trouble figuring out how to access the private areas of the new NABBW site, here’s what you need to know.
My New Year’s Wish
In closing, I wish you a very Happy New Year and hope that 2011 will bring peace, love, happiness and success not only to your life but also to the lives of all the people around you.
PS While this is supposed to be my New Year’s Message and not a regular issue, I can’t help but include a few links to articles I’ve seen and want to share. Here you go!
- Know someone with cancer? Here’s a free cleaning service for them!
- NABBW Member Carolyn Howard-Johnson was interviewed recently on how retailers can boost profits by PARTNERING with authors to host book signings or workshops. Click the link to listen to the call. (Link is to an MP3 and may take a minute to download.)
- Want to make some (or lots of) money in 2011? Here’s a link to a blog post with a free downloadable worksheet you can use to create your own, powerful, two-page strategic business plan. Plus, there’s a sample, “filled out” form to give you some ideas!
- Looking for profitable new business ideas? Be sure to check out 10 Trends that will define change in 2011, according to entrepreneur.com
- Remember when I said we Boomer Women are a formidable force? Here’s an article that talks about how we can make a difference based on our life experience
PPS Please write and tell me what you are doing in 2011. We’d love to include your story as a “Voices of Baby Boomer Women” blog post, or profile you in an upcoming BoomerWomen’sWorld newsletter. And, I’m still planning teleseminars for first quarter 2011, so let me know if you’d like to be interviewed. As always, I’m listening…
Anne L. Holmes, APR
“Boomer in Chief”