Welcome to Summer!
Welcome to another information-packed issue of Boomer Women’s World.
It’s June, which brings with it weddings, family reunions, graduations, summer vacations – and irrefutable evidence that Harold Camping was wrong. As we all expected, the world did not end in May. Instead, here we are, and as the classic song from the musical “Carousel” delightedly proclaims, “June is busting out all over…”.
Suddenly the weather is hot, hot, hot – and stormy — here in the Midwest. And of course, the rest of the country is dealing with weather-related issues as well. Since the recent wild weather has included everything from floods to tornadoes, wildfires, and sizzling hot weather, I’ve sort of been amazed that Mr. Camping hasn’t resurfaced to tell us the weather proves that we are dealing with Armageddon and the endtimes.
Meanwhile, we are all praying for all the people in the Midwest and southern US affected by flooding and tornadoes and those in eastern Arizona and elsewhere who were impacted by the wildfires – as well as anyone else who is trying to rebuild their lives and homes.
I hope this message finds you healthy and happy and enjoying a bit of family time. Hopefully you’ve had the opportunity for a picnic, or other summer fun. One of my nieces is getting married later this summer, which means we will have a chance to get the whole family together. That doesn’t happen very often for us, these days. We’re all too busy and too spread out. But we’ll all be there for our Kate and her groom.
There’s loads of wonderful information in this issue, as usual, including information on three great teleseminars coming up at the end of this month. So fix yourself a cool beverage of your choice, find a place in the sun, and spend a little “me time” with us!
Mark These June Teleseminar Dates on Your Calendar NOW:
- How to Successfully Publish a Book on Kindle–with NABBW Associate, best-selling author and Kindle expert, Ronda Del Boccio – Thursday, June 23rd at 8:00 PM Eastern Register Here NOW!
- Profit from Your Thoughts! How to Generate Income with Your Blog (The Art of Finding and Signing Advertisers and Sponsors)–with Marissa Sweazy, Director of Digital/Social Media, Aigner Prensky Marketing Group – Tuesday, June 28th at 1 PM Eastern (NOTE the EARLY time for this call) Register Here NOW!
- Want to Relocate When You Retire? Here’s What You MUST Know and Do NOW–-with NABBW Associate Jan Cullinane,co-author of the best-selling book, The New Retirement: The Ultimate Guide to the Rest of Your Life – Thursday, June 30th at 8:00 PM Eastern Register Here NOW!
Other Issue Highlights:
- Check in with our NABBW Associates – More than a dozen new articles on topics ranging from How to Eat from the Fountain of Youth, and How to Grow a Cutting Garden to Dealing with Spiritual Inertia
- Find out what this month’s hot topics are over at Boomer Women Speak…
- Check out our Member News. Loads of good info there.
And with that point made, I’ll sign off by reminding you that I’m listening, and I look forward to hearing from you!
PS Be sure to contact me if you have a topic for an NABBW teleseminar . We have some Spring dates available.
PPS Don’t forget to send us your news for our Member News section. (Keep in mind we only publish “news bytes” from our paid NABBW members. But you get a ton of publicity value from a tiny investment. A real boon if you’re a business owner or want to become one… )
Anne L. Holmes, APR
“Boomer in Chief”
www.NABBW.com, www.BoomerWomenSpeak.com, www.BoomerWomensWorld.com
www.BoomerLifestyle.com, www.BoomerDomains.com, www.BoomerCo.com
Boomers In The News
Here Are Other Articles of Interest:
Meditation: Take In Healing Breath
By Rev. Laurie Sue Brockway and Rev. Vic Fuhrman in Beliefnet.com
A reflective exercise to help your breath be a source of healing, even if you suffer from allergies or asthma.
What ‘Angry Birds’ Can Teach You About Getting Hired
By Skip Freeman in 2ndHalfLounge.com
In addition to being the #1 paid app in the galaxy, the wildly popular game for smart phones, Ipads, PCs, Macs, etc., also contains nuggets of job hunting wisdom.
It’s Not Just Fat: Hip Bones Widen With Age, Too
By Mary Elizabeth Dallas in 2ndAct.com
Apparently we continue to grow well into our 70s. But these days we’re not growing taller, we’re growing wider. New research shows it’s NOT just what you eat that makes you ‘broader in the beam.’
Double Duty: Kitchen Staples That Make You Prettier And Healthier
By Barbara Hannah Grufferman in The Huffington Post
Got some plain yogurt that’s two weeks past its “sell date?” Don’t throw it out! It’s the perfect treatment for a common skin condition… And don’t toss that wilted parsley either….
Bourbon Peaches and Cream Popsicles
Posted by Sweet Fiend in EndlessSimmer.com
Popsicles aren’t just for kids anymore. These days popsicles have exotic flavors, and they’re all grown up…
Is Your Bedtime Making You Fat?
By Michael Breus, Ph.D. in TheInsomniaBlog.com
Your bedtime is one of the few things that you can control when it comes to your sleep. Here’s one more reason why you’re hurting yourself when you don’t get enough Z’s.
Recent Forum Topics
I continue to witness women encouraging others in our Virtual Village at Boomer Women Speak Forums.
Won’t you join us? Here’s a peek at some topics we’re chatting about:
Quotes for Living
Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life? ~~ Mary Oliver
I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart: I am, I am, I am. ~~ Sylvia Plath
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ Hillary Cooper
Learn how to exhale, the inhale will take care of itself. ~~ Carla Melucci Ardito
He lives most life whoever breathes most air. ~~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning
On Thursday June 23, 2011, at 8 PM Eastern time, Anne will be interviewing Ronda Del Boccio, author of several #1 Amazon Kindle bestsellers, on the topic “How to Successfully Publish a Book on Kindle.”
Some of the topics we will cover include:
- Why choose Kindle publishing?
- How do I publish my book on Kindle?
- How should I format my book for Kindle?
- How do I choose the best categories for my book?
- How can I kick-start my book’s success?
- How can my book drive traffic to my website?
- What kind of books do best in Kindle?
- How can I promote my Kindle book?
- Where are the Amazon bestseller lists found?
- How can I promote my Kindle book?
- Where are the Amazon bestseller lists found?
- What else can I do to earn money from my book?
- What can I do if I need help writing and publishing my book?
Be sure to mark your calendar now, as this will be a call you do not want to miss.
Ronda will have a Tip Sheet you’ll want to download before the call.
Register Here NOW!
We’re working on details for two other events this month as well. Here’s what I can tell you now:
“Want to Relocate When You Retire? Here’s What You MUST Know and Do NOW” with Jan Cullinane, NABBW’s Expert on The New Retirement. SAVE the DATE: June 30, 2011 8 PM ET. Register Here NOW!
“Profit from Your Thoughts! How to Generate Income with Your Blog (The Art of Finding and Signing Advertisers and Sponsors)” with Marissa Sweazy of the Aigner Prensky Marketing Group. SAVE the DATE: June 28, 2011 1 PM ET. Register Here NOW!
Watch your email for more details as they emerge…
Featured NABBW Member . . .
Lois is a two-time survivor of life-threatening disease, and a woman who has lived through bankruptcy-not only financially but physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.
As she puts it, “I know what it is to be bankrupt in every way. I have risen above these circumstances; my passion now is to give other women the courage to do the same.”
Lois knows so much about survival she has written a book on it, titled, appropriately, Surviving. As you read more of her story, you will begin to understand why Lois is on a mission to help other women thrive.
Monthly Columns from NABBW Associates
Meet Our NABBW Associate
Clients and reporters often ask Natalie Caine, “How do you get through the disappointments and exhaustion that seem to be a hallmark of empty nest syndrome?” Her reply, “My middle name is HOPE. I rely on it. My two best friends are Curiosity and Compassion.” Natalie learned to rely on this trio as a result of living a life of transitions that include:
- Five month sudden bed rest when pregnant
- Life threatening illness
- Care-taking for my parents
- Empty nest
- Suicide of my best friend
- Re-inventing myself and my career
- Death of my parents
Natalie Caine says that her real turning point came when her daughter was a senior in high school. She realized that she was about to encounter a major life shift, becoming an “empty nester.”
Not wanting to confront another major life transition alone nor have her many friends face this abyss without strong support, she created a support services group, Empty Nest Support Services, which quickly grew into a new career and an exciting full-time business.
Her goal with Empty Nest Support Services: To assure that no one goes through this or any other major life transition without a hand to hold. As a result, singles, couples, and adult children across the country have a way to receive wisdom, tips and comfort as they deal with happy and challenging life transitions that include the major life change of empty nest. Natalie achieves her goal in a variety of ways:
- Her website presents visitors with a free community of support via blogs, stories of the month, articles, and tips.
- She will happily visit your community if you can put together a minimum of seven people for a support group.
- You’ll need a few more people if you want Natalie to present a workshop for your group. But she does offer her Life in Transition, What’s Next workshop regularly in communities and resorts across the country.
- She also offers private phone consultations.
- And as a special offer for Boomer Women’s World readers, Natalie is happy to gift a free ten minute phone consultation to the first five people who email her a question.
Perhaps because so many Boomers are going through life transitions these days, Natalie finds herself very busy helping others appreciate the joys and challenges of the empty nest. That’s why she regularly presents her workshop LIFE IN TRANSITION, WHAT NOW at resorts and spas, as well as in cities.
Wherever she speaks, her audience includes those seeking help with issues related to re-invention, divorce, blending families, retirement, grand parenting, re-marriage, illness, loss, longevity, care-taking, and mentoring.
Typical topics Natalie teaches about include:
- How to find a new career and transition from the oldHow to travel solo for work and have a great time
- How to make the time and find leads for marketing your new business
- How to shift your role with your adult children
- How to make new friends at this stage of life
- What are the common threads and successes of transition you teach about in your Life in Transition, What’s Next workshop?
- What is the challenge and joy of empty nest?
- How can I take care of myself when adult children move back home?
- How do I cope?
- Where do I begin?
Natalie’s style is humor combined with concrete practices and she is a captivating storyteller. As she tells us:
“Whether you are going through a happy or challenging transition, it helps to know WHO YOU ARE and WHO YOU ARE NOT. From that place, you begin to gather the inner resources you need to build your unique road map and make choices. You get to change your mind.
“Transitions include: those on the way to emptying their nest, empty nest, children returning home, retirement, re-locating, career change, school to first job, divorce, birth, grandparent, health, death, re-marriage, illness, financial shift, blending families, suicide, building new friendships and interests.
“My passion comes from my living so many transitions throughout my life, some by choice and some not, but all listed above. You forget that grieving is a life experience, not complete, not over. It has been eight years since I experienced the loss of my best friend, and yesterday, I sobbed. You forget to ask for help. I called a friend so I safely could talk about her and weep. You forget awkwardness is normal. I needed to be inside and not in the world, to nurture myself with the comfort of a white fluffy blanket in bed, sipping hot chocolate — the 25 calories, not the 150. After all, I still need some control over life.”
Natalie received a master’s degree and board of medical examiner’s license in speech and language therapy in 1972. After 15 years of offering therapy and workshops to the Los Angeles Unified School District, she opened a private practice to serve her community.
Since the early 80s, Natalie has created and facilitated women’s support groups dealing with marriage, divorce, parenting, dating, illness, loss, and helping people fulfill their dreams and goals.
Natalie is the Southern California Representative for The International Women’s Writing Guild, a volunteer at UCLA Law School Witness Protection Program, a volunteer for Women Making A Difference, a member of CSHA and mentors children and adults.
Additionally, she has been featured in top media including Time Magazine, USA Today, New York Times, LA Times, Washington Post, Better Homes and Gardens, Associated Press, Miami Herald and other publications. Always her goal with Empty Nest Support Services is to help anticipating empty nesters and current empty nest families through the joys and challenges of a new life chapter.
Natalie lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Ken and cat Sophie who both like to chat in the kitchen as she cooks from her organic vegetable garden. Her college graduate daughter, Rachael, lives in Northern California working at her dream job.
Writing, photography, travel, hiking, gardening, music, friends and a spark for the new are parts of her that get more attention now that she is an empty nester and loving it.
Finally, Natalie tells us, the art of being in her pajamas all day is a newfound luxury she allows herself to indulge in on rainy Sundays. Her book, LIFE IN TRANSITION, WHAT’S NEXT is being revised for publication in 2011.
Product Reviews of Interest to Baby Boomer Women
Reviews are a service we provide for paid-up-to-date NABBW Members. Email us for details.
(Once submitted, please allow ample time for reading/reviewing. Books and other products will not be returned.)
Click Product Image or Title to Read that Review.
(Purchase Link is Available Within Each Product Review)
NABBW Member News
Dr. Janet Brill
Janet is delighted to report that her new book, Prevent a Second Heart Attack: 8 Foods, 8 Weeks to Reverse Heart Disease (Crown/Three Rivers, Feb 2011), just won the gold medal award in the Nutrition category of the Living Now Book Awards! Additionally she signed on to the Executive Leadership Team of the American Heart Association Go Red for Women campaign. “I encourage all baby boomer women to get involved in the go red movement as heart disease is the number one cause of death in American women.” She appeared – and signed books — at the Philadelphia Go Red luncheon on May 20th.
Sandra McLeod Humphrey
Sandy writes that the trailer for her new bookon bullying,Hot Issues, Cool Choices: Facing Bullies, Peer Pressure, Popularity, and Put-downs, is now posted on You Tube.
Rosemary Lichtman, Ph.D. & Phyllis Goldberg, Ph.D.
Rosemary notes that she and Phyllis recently hosted a Virtual Book Tour for Erica Goodstone, Ph.D. on their blog. According to Rosemary, “Her book, Love Me, Touch Me, Heal Me: The Path to Physical, Emotional, Sexual and Spiritual Reawakening, leads readers on a path toward loving… truly loving, from the center of their being.”
Chloe Jon Paul
Chloe is thrilled that her newest book, a novel titled “This Business of Children,”is due to hit the press in a couple of days. She writes that she is presently going over the final proof copy.
Ronda Del Boccio
Ronda dashed off a quick note just prior to heading off for the JV Alert Live conference in Washington, DC. With at least three books hitting Amazon’s #1 status in Kindle format, she is excited to be sharing her publishing success secrets in an upcoming NABBW teleseminar. The date is June 23rdat 8 PM Eastern time. Some of the topics she will discuss include: * Why choose Kindle publishing?* How do I format and publishmy book on Kindle? * How to choose the best categories?* How to kick-start your book’s success?
Dr. Dorree Lynn
NABBW’s Expert on Boomer Women Sexuality announces that you can now find her on YourTango, a website dedicated to love and relationships. Dr. Dorree says YourTango offers text and video content, along with an active, highly engaged community where users learn, affirm, share and connect on matters of the heart. Be sure to check out her new YourTango page.
Diane writes that there’s lots happening at New Mexico Soap. Including:
- Back by popular demand: Goat Milk Soap.
- Father’s Day gift ideas: Elegant Shave Kit…Hurry…only 6 left!
- Great gift with a bit of everything: Genuine Body Gear Kit
- Summer’s dry skin means don’t forget your Shea Butter
- Basic Bars …newest addition is Black Amber Musk. Already a hit!
- NEW!! Button Bars
Give The Gift Of NABBW Membership
There are LOTS of reasons to give a gift of an NABBW membership. Perhaps you want to:
- Affirm a friendship
- Share the power of the new NABBW.com site with a colleague
- Honor a family member (your mother, your sister, your daughter, your grandmother…)
- Connect with a loved one
- Mark important events, like birthdays (Hey, the leading edge of Baby Boomer Women are starting to turn 65 in 2011…)
- Give a little encouragement to someone who could use some support and nurturing
- Celebrate a new beginning
- Or just share the many joys (and challenges) of being a Baby Boomer Woman today…
Now it’s easier than ever to give a membership in NABBW as a gift. In the past, we arranged gift memberships on a one by one basis. NOW we’re offering gift certificates., and they’re EASY to arrange. All you need to do is click on the link below. It takes you to a sign-up page, which you need to fill out. Here’s how:
- In the first set of boxes, you tell us about you. We’ll ask for your name, your email address (so we can contact you) and other simple contact information.
- In the middle box, where it says “Additional Information,” simply type in your intended NABBW giftee’s name, email address (so we can send her the newsletters) and, optionally, the type of occasion you are recognizing with your gift of a year of NABBW membership. Also tell us whether you want to announce the gift yourself, or have us send an e-card.
- Finally, in the third set of boxes, you provide us with information on how to charge your credit card, and click the box at the bottom that says “Complete Checkout.”
To Send an NABBW Gift Certificate, click here NOW.