Wow! We’re into the second half of January already. I hope you are keeping warm, keeping your resolutions and keeping healthy — physically, emotionally, mentally — and fiscally.
I’m sure you’ve been as busy as I have, so I hope you can find time to take a break and benefit from the wonderful content we have for you this month. We’ve got everything from A to Z, as you’ll soon see. Our content includes:
- The announcement of our National Tie One On Day Apron contest winners
- News of a quilter who is using her needle skills to raise million$ for Alzheimer’s research
- “Save the Date” News on a super-important NABBW teleseminar
- Book reviews
- Over a dozen fantastic articles from our NABBW Associates
- Two entertaining videos
- Tips for Boomers turning 65 in 2011 and
- Info on how getting your ZZZ’s can help you fight off the winter blues…
Let’s get started!
First a couple of “Hold the Date” Heads-up on two Hugely Important NABBW Teleseminars
Both are happening the first week of February, so I need to alert you to them now.
Our first event is TUESDAY February 8th and the topic is “NOT TONIGHT DEAR! – SEXUALITY AND INTIMACY AFTER PROSTATE AND BREAST CANCER AND OTHER ILLNESSES. ”
- Our presenter is Rabbi Ed Weinsberg, EdD, DD., author of the award-winning, Amazon bestseller, Conquer Prostate Cancer: How Medicine, Faith, Love and Sex Will Renew Your Life, and its companion blog, www.ConquerProstateCancer.com.
- Rabbi Ed has first-hand experience on this topic, so this will not be a theoretical talk. He is a prostate cancer survivor, healthcare educator, gerontologist, author and intimacy coach. His hour-long presentation, which NABBW is hosting, will cover steps that can help boomer women and their husbands and/or partners overcome reduced sexual function and low libido after prostate cancer and breast cancer treatments and other illnesses.
- This session is FREE and is focused primarily for Boomer women and their spouses and partners, so be sure to notify your friends to be on the call as well.
- As usual, this will be an online teleseminar that you can view on the internet or listen to by phone. More details will be announced in early February, but I want you to be sure to hold the date now: February 8th at 8 PM Eastern… (That’s 7 PM Central, 6 PM Mountain, 5 PM Pacific, of course.)
- The call will be recorded and available to NABBW members. BUT if you have questions you’d like to ask Rabbi Ed, you’ll want to be sure to be on the “live” presentation.
- Conveniently, Rabbi Ed’s book is reviewed in our book review section below.
- For more information on Rabbi Ed’s teleseminar and his book, click the link.
Our second event is THURSDAY February 10th and this time we will be discussing Dr. Diana Kirschner’s newest book, “Sealing the Deal: The Love Mentor’s Guide to Lasting Love”
- Love expert, media psychologist and bestselling author, Diana Kirschner Ph.D has helped thousands of singles and couples find their dream relationships. She is the go-to psychologist for TV talk and reality shows.
- A recurring guest on the Today Show, she has also appeared on Oprah and starred in a PBS Special on love.
- Her new book, Sealing the Deal: The Love Mentor’s Guide to Lasting Love has received rave advance reviews from luminaries such as John Gray, Dr. Christiane Northrup, Arielle Ford and Dr. Judith Orloff.
- Some of the topics she’ll cover on the call include: The most important thing you can do to create lasting passionate love, The four steps of the powerful Love Mentoring process, the single biggest mistake women make in love relationships, key secrets to having a very successful “Talk” with your man — and the best time of day to approach him, and the seven “real” laws of attraction and how to use them to become irresistible to your man. (Note: these laws don’t include looking younger or thinner.)
- Again, this session is FREE and Dr. Diana has promised a fantastic gift to all who are present on the call. I know what it is, and you don’t want to miss this!
- As usual, this will be an online teleseminar that you can view on the internet or listen to by phone. More details will be announced in early February, but I want you to be sure to hold the date now: February 10th at 8 PM Eastern… (That’s 7 PM Central, 6 PM Mountain, 5 PM Pacific, of course.)
- The call will be recorded and available to NABBW members. BUT if you have questions you’d like to ask Dr. Diana on how you can seal the deal for lasting love, you’ll want to be sure to be on the “live” presentation.
- For more information on the Dr. Diana’s book and the call, click the link. Love expert, media psychologist and bestselling author, Diana Kirschner Ph.D has helped thousands of singles and couples find their dream relationships. She is the go-to psychologist for TV talk and reality shows.
Welcome NTOOD Apron Contest Winners
Remember the “National Tie One On Day” apron contest we helped sponsor just before Thanksgiving? We are delighted to announce the five winners of a full year Gold Level Membership in the NABBW. Congratulations to the winners, who are:
- Karin Senerchia, Glendale, AZ
- Bernadine Riley, Anthem, AZ
- Brandy Lovell, Powell, WY
- Stephanie Kain, New River, AZ
- Beth Talmage, Clatskanie, OR
Listening to Voices of Baby Boomer Women
We are delighted to profile two NABBW members this month. I have no doubt you will want to learn more about Ami Simms and Jaki Scarcello, both of whom are doing wonderful things to help make the world a better place.
Are You Planning to Reinvent Yourself in 2011?
The February issue of MORE magazine urges readers to “Reinvent Yourself, ” and includes stories of five shrewd women who launched new companies – and careers – for under $150. I found the article fascinating, since I did exactly that twenty-some years ago, when I left my secure job at a PR firm to launch my own marketing company. One thing led to another and now here I am — loving my life and all the ways I get to help my fellow Baby Boomer Women as your “Boomer in Chief!”
The website StartupNation says that if you’re eager to take your destiny into your own hands, you’re in the right place at the right time. According to their experts, “Now is the time to launch your new venture and live life on your own terms. The economy should brighten in 2011, giving your new venture an even better shot at success.”
I have to agree that it is easier than ever to launch a new venture on the cheap, using social networking tools like Facebook and Twitter to reach customers, setting up your business in your home and recognizing that your most important asset is free: your own skills.
If “Reinvention” is in your plans for 2011, drop me an email and tell me about it. NABBW has loads of resources and lots of experts who can help you make it happen in 2011.
Remember, I’m always listening to you!
PS Be sure to contact me if you have a topic for an NABBW teleseminar. We are busy booking dates for 2011 and want to be sure to include you!
PPS Don’t forget to send us your news for our Member News section. (Keep in mind we only publish “news bytes” from our paid NABBW members. But you get a ton of publicity value from a tiny investment. No doubt that’s why NABBW member Carolyn Howard-Johnson, who’s known for her frugal marketing tactics, says marketing to Baby Boomer women via NABBW is “a no-brainer.”)
Anne L. Holmes, APR
“Boomer in Chief”
www.NABBW.com, www.BoomerWomenSpeak.com, www.BoomerWomensWorld.com
www.BoomerLifestyle.com, www.BoomerDomains.com, www.BoomerCo.com
Give The Gift Of NABBW Membership
There are LOTS of reasons to give a gift of an NABBW membership. Perhaps you want to:
- Affirm a friendship
- Share the power of the new NABBW.com site with a colleague
- Honor a family member (your mother, your sister, your daughter, your grandmother…)
- Connect with a loved one
- Mark important events, like birthdays (Hey, the leading edge of Baby Boomer Women are starting to turn 65 in 2011…)
- Give a little encouragement to someone who could use some support and nurturing
- Celebrate a new beginning
- Or just share the many joys (and challenges) of being a Baby Boomer Woman today…
Now it’s easier than ever to give a membership in NABBW as a gift. In the past, we arranged gift memberships on a one by one basis. NOW we’re offering gift certificates., and they’re EASY to arrange. All you need to do is click on the link below. It takes you to a sign-up page, which you need to fill out. Here’s how:
- In the first set of boxes, you tell us about you. We’ll ask for your name, your email address (so we can contact you) and other simple contact information.
- In the middle box, where it says “Additional Information,” simply type in your intended NABBW giftee’s name, email address (so we can send her the newsletters) and, optionally, the type of occasion you are recognizing with your gift of a year of NABBW membership. Also tell us whether you want to announce the gift yourself, or have us send an e-card.
- Finally, in the third set of boxes, you provide us with information on how to charge your credit card, and click the box at the bottom that says “Complete Checkout.”
To Send an NABBW Gift Certificate, click here NOW.
Boomers In The News
Here Are Other Articles of Interest:
7 Tips for Baby Boomers Turning 65 in 2011 By Emily Brandon, USNews.com
If you’re turning 65 this year, you need to sign up for Medicare, and follow this tip list.
More Baby Boomers Adopting ‘Encore’ Careers By TheBostonChannel, WCVB-TV5
Many Baby Boomers are thinking about adopting new careers these days – even if it means going back to school.
Few Boomers Understand Alzheimer’s By Leslie Keeping, Sackville Tribune Post
January is Alzheimer’s awareness month and this year’s focus is on raising our awareness of the symptoms.
Cosmetic Surgery That’s Not Optional By Gerit Quealy, StyleGoesStrong.com
If your doc says you have “pre-cancerous” spots on your skin, it’s best to remove them now.
Financial Stress and Sex By Cynthia Ross Cravit, 50Plus.com
Financial stress is affecting our sex lives. What to do.
Black Bean Soup Satisfies on Snow Days By Anne Maxfield, The Accidental Locavore
There’s nothing better on a cold winter day than a big bowl of soup – here’s a great recipe.
Cures for Winter Blues By Jenny Stamos, Redbook
If you’re feeling sluggish and sad this winter, there are many things you can do to help yourself.
2011 Golden Globes Fashion Winners By Booth Moore, LATimes.com
Sometimes it’s just fun to look at the pictures of the award show dresses. Enjoy!
Recent Forum Topics
I continue to witness women encouraging others in our Virtual Village at Boomer Women Speak Forums.
Won’t you join us?
Here’s a peek at some topics we’re chatting about:
Quotes for Living
“A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” ~ Charles F. Kettering
“Do not wait; the time will never be ‘just right.’ Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.” ~ George Herbert
“Then give to the world the best you have, and the best will come back to you.” ~ Madeline Bridges
Monthly Columns from NABBW Associates
Featured NABBW Members
Welcome to NABBW member, author and coach, Jaki Scarcello, a transplanted Canadian who wrote the book, Fifty & Fabulous! The Best Years of a Woman’s Life, to help ensure that all women fifty and older know that being over 50 and female at this time in history is an opportunity richer and more ripe with potential than any other.
As Jaki says on her website, FiftyFab.com, “Some women dread the approach of their fiftieth birthday, fearing it’s goodbye to good times and good looks. Others barely notice the transition: they know how to welcome each age for its particular blessings. These are the women who aren’t trying to turn back the clock, but reaping the fruits of a life well lived, recognizing and receiving the real gifts that ‘fifty-plus’ brings. Women for whom being fifty or over doesn’t mean less, but more.”
Drawing on her own experience, as well as exhaustive research into other women’s stories—a series of interview conducted in five countries—Jaki’s book uses wisdom and wit to demonstrate how changing our attitudes toward aging can bring about a ‘virtuous cycle’ of rejuvenation.
She hopes that all women will learn to embrace the years after 50 with a spirit of optimism and energy – to become what she calls “Women of the Harvest.”
Those who do, she knows, are truly liberated. They understand that in maturity women have the potential for genuine elegance, a beauty more than skin-deep that sparkles confidently and generously from the eyes, and a whole new brand of personal sexiness.
On a deeper level, women over 50 possess a secret power and joy, which radiates outward into the world and illuminates everyone around them.
After talking with Jaki recently, we invited her to tell us a bit more about herself and what led her to write her book…
Read more about Jaki
Welcome to NABBW member, nationally-recognized quilting instructor, and fund-raiser extraordinaire, Ami Simms. As a fund-raiser, Ami (Note: her name is pronounced “AH-Mee” and rhymes with salami) used her quiltmaking skills to enlist the help of quilters across the United States to use their hobby to raise awareness and fund research.
“I don’t know how to cure disease, but I do know how to quilt. I have a voice in the quilting community and I thought this was the time to open my mouth,” she says.
At the time Ami started the Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI), her mother, Beebe, pictured with her below, had just moved into an Alzheimer’s facility and was in the midst of a 7-year struggle with Alzheimer’s which she has since lost.
Her mother’s illness spurred Ami’s desire to find a cure. With the help of the quilting community, she has created two traveling quilt exhibits about Alzheimer‘s and received more than 6,100 donated quilts which the AAQI auctions or sells online.
The AAQI quilt auctions are held monthly, during the first ten days of the month, and to date the AAQI has raised nearly $500,000 for research and has awarded six grants, including one for research conducted by University of Michigan Life Sciences Institute.
Promising results from this research was recently published online in the research journal, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science. An article about the U of M research is published on the AAQI’s website, where you can also see – and follow a link to bid on — images of the quilts in the current online auction. Or, you can also use the site to make a donation. (Note: the quilt images pictured here are from the January 2011 auction.)
Read more about Ami
Product Reviews of Interest to Baby Boomer Women
Reviews are a service we provide for paid-up-to-date NABBW Members. Email us for details.
(Once submitted, please allow ample time for reading/reviewing. Books and other products will not be returned.)
Click Product Image or Title to Read that Review.
(Purchase Link is Available Within Each Product Review)
My Blackberry is Not Working
NABBW Member News
Phyllis Goldberg, Ph.D. & Rosemary Lichtman, Ph.D.
Phyllis and Rosemary invite you to a Virtual Book Tour at their blog, to be held on Wednesday, January 26. They will feature Gary Small, M.D., director of the UCLA Memory and Aging Center and professor of psychiatry at the UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine. After a Q&A, he’ll answer your questions about his recently published book, “The Naked Lady Who Stood On Her Head: A Psychiatrist’s Stories of His Most Bizarre Cases.” Just click on ‘comments’ at the bottom of the blog post and follow the prompts.
Susan Santangelo sends word that she is deep into the final edits for “Moving Can Be Murder,” her second book in the Carol and Jim Andrews Baby Boomer Mystery series, to be published in April.
Mary Anne Hahn
Mary Anne is delighted to invite all ghostwriters to take a look at her site’s new design. She says, “We feel it better represents our mission, vision and presence as the first and foremost online organization for ghost writers worldwide. We also wanted those who come to the site in search of ghost writers to know they have come to a place where they can find professional, reliable talent. We look forward to promoting our member directory far and wide so that we provide our members with global exposure, as well as our job board so that we can bring our members the very best in ghost writing job opportunities from around the globe.”
Natalie invites all NABBW members to her upcoming Empty Nest Workshop in Boulder, CO, March 4th and 5th. She promises that, “It will be great and Boulder is especially beautiful in the Spring.” More details here: http://emptynestsupport.com/events/
Jan Cullinane, who’s been on a speaking tour for www.livesouthshows.com reports that she was recently interviewed for The Erickson Tribune for an article about easy ways to save money in retirement. Here’s the link: http://ericksontribune.com/2010/12/15277/